ROE submissions deadline extended!

Business owners, have you submitted your Return of Earnings (ROE)?

Submissions deadline has been extended to 31 May 2019.

If you run a payroll and have employees, you are obligated in terms of the Compensation for Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act (1993) to REGISTER as an Employer with the Dept of Labour and submit a ROE to the Compensation Fund.

What is an ROE?
All employers must submit an annual return (known as the ROE) to the Compensation Fund. Employers must declare actual salaries and wages for the year ended 28 February, as well as the estimated earnings for the following year ending on the last day of February. From the ROE, and the nature of your business, the Compensation Commissioner will determine your annual payment to be paid at the end of the following month. The amount is determined by calculating the amount of earnings paid by an employer to the employees during the stipulated time.

What is the payment for?
This amount provides cover for employees who could get injured at work, fall ill from diseases contracted at work or die as a result of these injuries and diseases. By being registered and contributing to the Fund, employers are protected against civil claims if their employees get injured on duty or contract occupational diseases. These employees can then claim compensation for temporary or permanent disablement from the Fund. If an employee dies as a result of an injury on duty, their dependents can claim compensation from the Fund.

Who must register with the Compensation Fund?
All employers who have employed one or more full-time or part-time employees must register with the Compensation Fund. And, in most cases, a separate registration is necessary for each separate branch of a business. There are a few exceptions to registration in terms of the Occupational Injuries and Diseases Act (1993). These include private domestic workers, SA National Deffence Force members, SAPS members, and employees who work outside South Africa for more than 12 months at a time.

How does my business register and submit the ROE?
You can register by completing the relevant As.2 form and submitting it to the Dept of Labour. The annual ROE is done using the W.As. 8 form, available from the Dept of Labour.

As with many Labour Law related activities, registration and completion of the required forms and processes can be time-consuming and confusing.

Need expert help with registration and/or calculating and submitting your ROE? Contact our senior HR consultant Kristy Keating.